Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lupe's Notes - Sep 2, 2012

Good afternoon sisters. What a wonderful day this is and wonderful meetings. Great spirit.

THOUGHT “Faith is a gift from the Lord through which the righteous are empowered to do remarkable things.”
George Albert Smith

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. Sister Donna Larsen fell down and fractured her pelvic bone, and her back last week. She is in a rehab home and will be there all this week and possibly next week also. Her family has ask that she get visitors. She is at the Orem Rehab Center 575 E 1400 S in Orem. If you are on State Street passed University Mall, you turn left where Dickey's Bar- B-Que is, down the road on your left. Please call because you go to make sure she is in her room. 801-225-4741.
  2. REMINDER: Canning and Salsa class this coming Tuesday, the 4th, 7 pm; taught by Amy R, at her home 1175 E 1180 N. Should make for a fun evening.
  3. REMINDER: September 13th at 7 pm at the Church. Preparedness class. A good down to earth simple to understand and make preparedness items. Husbands invited.
  4. Brigham City Temple Dedication on Sunday 23rd. Our ward is invited to come to the 9am dedication. Be seated by 8:30 am.
  5. Saturday, the 15th at 6 pm is our Stake Conference for Adults. Please take notice of the time change. 6 pm.
  6. Sunday the 16th is our Regional Conference at 10:00 am.
  7. September 29th is the General Relief Society Broadcast at the church at 6 pm. There will be an Ice Cream social afterward.

BIRTHDAYS: Sept 3rd – Lanae S., Sept 5th – Vera L., Sept. 6th – Andrea C. Happy Birthday sisters.

A big thank you to Amy W., for all the wonderful lessons we enjoyed. We know she will be a big asset to Christy Smith as Compassionate Service Assistant. We welcome Pat Heaton as a RS teacher.

Our lesson today was presented by Martha, taken from lesson #17, “The Strengthening Power of Faith”

This week has been a wonderful week spiritually, but also a hard week. My brother who is in the hospital has had a set back. However, the Lord has helped bear me up. I found myself at the hospital with him and he looked bad, his face hollow and pasty. We were at that place this week where I had his face in my hand and asked him, are you with me. He could barely speak and said “ I am so sick”. It was a difficult moment, but these are the moments we're all having sometimes. When our love ones are struggling with health issues, or other issues, where we think there is no end in sight. My sister-in-law continues to be there since April, but she has her children and school started and she said, “I can't carry one, don't know where it'll go. I found myself thinking of a scripture that I learned on my Mission located in D&C 84:88: And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”

I can't solve his problem, but I know how to cope, what to do when you can't help. That is the Atonement. The Atonement isn't just for repentance. The Atonement is also when the Savior is there to bear our burdens. I find myself in awe to know that not only the Savior but also ancestors and love ones who help us. My sister has a daughter who got married; it wasn't a wedding that we are used to, but more like a backward wedding. So we rallied as a family and all who could go went to support my sister and my niece. Hopefully we were a good example to her and her husband and baby. While there we went to the Washington, D C Temple. While there I had been pondering a lot about my faith; what makes me tick; my former trials. We all have our Gethsemane time, when we define ourselves and the role of the Savior in our life and why we need him.

When I was 12 years old, the young women went to the Washington Temple to do baptisms. I had a wonderful bishop who cared about me. Afterward, the Bishop bore his testimony and it was so amazing. This was my first experience in the temple and then we had testimony meeting on the grounds where we could look at the Angel Moroni statue. I felt the love of God, I knew I was a daughter of God. My desire was to have it all, to be righteous and not mess up. He asked us each to find a place there on the grounds and talk to God. To ask Him if He really knew us. I made my decision at that time.

I was in a bad place of my life then, my family was falling apart, my dad was choosing to leave the church and the family. I had a budding seed of faith like it says in Alma 32. I beg Him to never give up on me. It reminded me of Nephi in 2 Nephi 15-35. I could read it all, but we do not have time, but it is a powerful scripture. Nephi' psalm it's called.

For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth the, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children.

Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; y soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.

He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.

He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me.

Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by vision in the nighttime.”

O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh....

Go home and read it.

Reflect on your moment that was a great test of your faith.

Do we all have our seasons in our life? I had Meniere's disease, really bad vertigo. Then I had problems with my pregnancy, and Lucia almost dies. My dad came to live with us. By that time my disease had gotten worse. I started to say, Oh Lord, where are thou. The disease affect the balance nerve, so I had to have surgery. My dad dies, and I had to take care of his house and clean out stuff Then 9-11 happened. All these started in 1976.

What has sustained me were the moments of the feeling of love of the Savior for us. My brother had had pneumonia and kidney failure and when I left the hospital and got in the car, I started to cry. I had this CD in the car and as I started to listen to it, I realized that my testimony was what carried me through it all. It was like the Savior scooped me up and carried my burdens.

White at the Washington D C temple I was able to say to my kids, and nieces, that this was where I chose to be true to Heavenly Father and that he has never given upon me.

I got a text from Tiffany telling me that I can get through this. The lesson talks about the Strengthening Power of our Faith. George Albert Smith talks about the time when he had to find a way to open the European Mission after World War I and how his faith helped him do that. He talks about all the prophets and their faith. We know it was not easy for them as it was not easy for the pioneer sister to cross the plains, to bear children and then to bury them. To see people starve to death. What carried them through was their faith. We need to go through our trials because it defines us. Those experiences are there to teach us that we are not alone. That Heavenly Father and the Savior are there.

We have two children, I have bore two children but have welcomed many others. One of them is Michelle. Her mom died when she was 16 years old. I have watched her and have wished for her mother to be there with her. She brought me a scripture to help me deal with things. She told me that she understood that the Lord needed her mom, she was full of hope and faith. She had to have an MRI and she asked Heavenly Father if she could have her mom be with her. That she needed her here. Cliff and I decided to go the the movies and while at the theater we ran into her young women President when she was young. She had been her president and knew her mother; I didn't know her mom. She said she had been thinking of her and needed to go to her. Where is she? I said that she was at my house. I witness a tender miracle as Michelle ran to her and hug her. Thru Jolene, she felt her mother's love because Jolene knew her mo.

So we are not alone, we are lifted and supported through the Church. “We can do all things in Christ which strengthen us.

Reflect on your faith, on your journey. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Next week's lesson in from George Albert Smith # 18 “Bringing Up Children in Light and Truth”.

0 comments:

Post a Comment