Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lupe's Notes - May 13, 2012


Happy Mother's Day sisters. I used to not like Mother's Day, but as I listened to the children sing, it came to my mind that it's OK. If there needs to be a Christmas to be reminded of the birth of the Savior, and an Easter to be reminded of the Atonement and Resurrection, then we're right there with him. A Mother's Day to be reminded of what moms do. Bring it on. Enjoy the day whether you end up cooking or not cooking. We are special. Heavenly Father loves us.

THOUGHT: “Mother's Day should be about God's appreciation for our sacrifice. Who cares what the kids do or if they say thanks, when God gets tears in his eyes as he thinks of those who mother. Mother's Day is really about a commemoration of being partners and co-creators with God in bringing about His eternal plan.” Janet T.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. Thanks to Amy W. and all who were involved in Thursday Activity. What an enjoyable evening and how we laughed. We were definitely pampered. And sisters, the comments that you wrote will be posted on the RS Blog. http://manila12thwardrs.blogspot.com/
  2. Sarah sent out an email to everyone about the Preparedness Survey. Please fill it out and return to Karen M. via email. Thank you so much for following through on this. Karen works really hard to help us learn how to prepare for things to come and they will come.
  3. Décor Repurposing/Furnishing Refinishing Class” - Thursday, May 24th at 7 pm @ Tara Barrus' home. This is a class for anyone interested in learning more about refinishing old furniture and repurposing décor around the house by simply spray painting it! We will go over the basics of refinishing and see just how easy it is to get a whole new look by using things you have around the house that maybe you've gotten tired of. Bring a can of spray paint (Krylon or Rustoleum) in the color of your choice and an old picture frame, décor piece, or something small that you'd want to repurpose. Walmart and Home Depot have some fun bright colors to choose from and are fairly inexpensive. Wear something that you won't mind getting paint on. If you have any questions feel free to call Tara at 801-380-1993.
  4. We were so happy to have Martha will us today. As you may or may not know her brother is quite ill and has been in the hospital for almost four weeks. He will be having a procedure done on Tuesday so please keep him in your prayers.
  5. This month it's our ward's turn to clean the Church kitchen. We will be there on Tuesday, the 15th at 10:45 am if you would like to join us. Thanks.

BIRTHDAYS: Whitney T., May 18th. Happy Birthday to you, Whitney.

Our lesson today was presented by Tiffany W. and it was lesson # 9 “Open Your Soul to the Lord in Prayer” from President George Albert Smith Manual, p. 93

Sisters, on the back of the handout are some Personal Points to Ponder: Please read them silently and ponder. At the end of the lesson we'll try to go over some of them and then we can share and be edify together.

President Smith shared how prayer affected him through his life.
I was trained at the knee of a Latter-day Saint mother. One of the first things I remember was when she took me by the hand and led me upstairs. In the room there were two beds, the bed in which my parents slept, and a little trundle bed over on the other side. I can remember it as if it were yesterday. When we got upstairs, she sat down by my little trundle bed. She had me kneel in front of her. She folded my hands and took them in hers, and taught me my first prayer. I will never forget it. I do not want to forget it. It is one of the loveliest memories that I have in life, an angelic mother sitting down by my bedside and teaching me to pray.”

I am grateful for his testimony.

On page 94, he shares a wonderful experience of how prayer blessed his life.
Throughout his life, President Smith relied on prayer not only as a means of drawing nearer to God but also to ask Him for help in times of need. One day while swimming in the Pacific Ocean, off the coast of California, he had the following experience:
“I was considered a very good swimmer and thoroughly enjoyed the sport. This particular day the tide was very high and very swift. As I left the shore and swam out into the ocean, I dived through the big breakers as they would crest and spray over me. My objective was the large swells beyond the breakers, where I could lie on my back and ride the big swells up and down.
“While engaging in this interesting sport, one very huge wave crested and broke before I could right myself following the dive through the previous one. The second one caught me and threw me to the floor of the ocean. I could feel myself being dragged out by the undertow. At this particular time many waves came in rapid succession and I was not able to right myself before I had to dive from one into another. I realized that my strength was rapidly leaving me, that it was going to be necessary for me to find some means of help. As I rode to the crest of one huge wave, I saw the underpilings of a pier close at hand, and I thought if with superhuman effort I could reach the security of the pilings that I would be able to save my life.
I silently asked my Heavenly Father to give me the strength to reach my objective. As I was washed into arm’s length of the pier, I reached out and put my arms around one of the posts. They were covered with sharp dark blue barnacles, and as I wound my arms and legs around its security, they cut my chest, legs and thighs. I hung on as long as I could stand the pain and watched for a big friendly swell to come my way that I might throw myself on it and travel to a piling closer to shore. Each time with a prayer in my heart I would make the effort of traveling from one pile to another with the aid of the rolling swell.
Slowly but surely and with great difficulty, I made my way to the shore where the water was shallow enough for me to walk to the beach. When I reached the safety of the warm sand, I fell, exhausted. I was so weak, so nearly drowned I was unable to walk home until I had rested some time. Lying on the sand with its warmth and security, I thought of the harrowing experience that I had just endured and my heart was filled with gratitude and humility that the Lord had … spared my life.
We learn how Heavenly Father blesses us during trial, during time of need, of the desires of our heart, things which may be painful at times. It allows us growing opportunities. And in the end, we know that he has eternal things in mind for us.

Quote 1 Alisa J:
I learned quite early in life that the Lord would answer prayer for He answered mine and in many ways He gave me evidence of His watchful care.”
This has reference to home and how prayer can be a part of children' life. What have you found to be an effective way to teach children to pray?

Holly M: My mom had been sick and so the children had been praying for her. When mom started to feel better, I told Megan that Heavenly Father had answered her prayer, that mother was doing better. Try to find opportunities to help them understand in what way Heavenly Father answers prayers.
Karen M: Watch for opportunities in their life. When they are sad, troubled, we can pray to Heavenly Father with them. I remember waiting for a daughter who was quite late coming home and my concern because she had gone out with a boy who was not a member of the Church. I said a prayer that I might know how to handle the situation. My husband and I asked her if she would join us in prayer before talking about the problem at hand.
Alisa J: When they see you pray and when you pray together as a family, it does have an effect on them. We were on a trip in the Colorado Canyon and there was a car crash. We waited and waited for what seemed forever and my daughter said, let's say a prayer to see if we could get going. So the prayer was offered and before we knew it, the traffic started to move. It took me a little while to realize that this was a good learning lesson about prayer. Did you know that we're moving. You said the prayer and we're moving. She recalls that memory. Let's remember that is a good thing to say to them.
Yes, help them to remember those experiences.
Martha: At the hospital, a family came to visit my brother and wanted to thank him for what he had taught their family regarding prayer. They had never4 heard their kids offer such yearning prayers for someone. All the prayers at every meeting were about pleading for a miracle, praying for the doctors, the care takers, etc. We focus on the essentials, and all we can do is trust in the Lord and pray. It strengthens everyone's testimony.
Ashley P: It is important to let them know that it is the Lord's will and that if it not his will, then it will not happen. One little girl was so upset that her prayer was not answered as she expected. We do need to remember that the Lord is in control and have them understand that it may not happen.
Thanks for sharing and about understanding why sometimes things do not happen. To know and let our children know that Heavenly Father knows us perfectly and we don't have the same perspective.
Linda L: I want to share about priesthood blessings. On the first day in the hospital, my son received a priesthood blessing. (I wasn't there but Martha told me about it). In the blessing, it was laid out that there would be a long and difficult period of time, that would require faith and prayers. But that in the end, it would be OK. I think, that is what has sustained so many of us. For myself, I had been having conversations with Heavenly Father about the Priesthood and honoring the priesthood, and his promise that we would be sustained and the covenants that he has made with us. It is a great strength to me in this whole situation. It has increased my testimony that all things are given to us so we can communicate with Heavenly Father is real. What wonderful things to teach our children.
In thinking back to a particular time in my life, I can remember thinking that it was more than I can handle myself. That I needed to rely on someone bigger than self. It was a time to develop a relationship with Heavenly Father, to pray to bring me closer, to open the windows of Heaven to allow answers to come. I remember gaining a greater testimony of needing Heavenly Father to talk to me. By reading the scriptures, praying, going to the Temple, I learned to recognize His voice in my life. It has helped me in my daily life. Heavenly Father is aware of us, and we can feel his peace and love for us.

Quote 2: Luone
It is a wonderful blessing that we enjoy...to feel sure of divine guidance, to have absolute faith in a personal God who is interested in us and who hears and answers our prayers.”
President Smith, p. 98
There are many people in the world who do not realize the real benefits of prayer. Prayer is a power. It has an influence that comparatively few people seem to understand...”
Rosemary S: I don't know if you sisters know how remarkable you are. For example, I came from a loving home, and am a non-Utah. I came from a religious, but non-praying family. I never heard my mother pray for me, I never heard her say that she knew Heavenly Father. You have that. Your children hear you pray for them. In y mind God was a fluffy cloud, so you prayed to a cloud. All I knew what the prayers that were said with the beads. You are doing a wonderful thing for your children. You are teaching and talking to them about a Heavenly Father that you know about. I hear you as you relate and share your experiences and your testimonies, but you take it for granted. Never feel that you are not doing enough. Teach them to pray to a real Heavenly Father.
Gisele M: My mom prayed over everything. She had faith that you can pray to Heavenly Father for help. She used to teach in Mutual (YW0 and when she passed away one of the girls wrote us a letter about a lesson she had taught on prayer. She used to bake a lot of bread and before she would start she would said a prayer that the bread would turn out. She would just delivered the bread throughout the neighborhood. I tried to instill in our children what she has instilled in us. My son who lives with us has a job where he has to let people go. It is very difficult for him to do that. One night he told me that he needed me to pray for this lady that he was going to have to let go the next day. She had a handicapped son who was not able to get disability and had committed suicide and was now seeking out people to help them, but it was something that she shouldn't do while working at this place. He said, I need you to pray for her. If she quits before I fire her, she'll be able to get some of her retirement. I can't tell her that though, but I did give her the papers that she will need and asked her to read them tonight. Please pray for her to quit tomorrow. I told him that I would call the prayer roll, I have the phone number memorized. The next day, he came home and hugged me and told me that she had quit before he had to fire her. She said to him, can I give you a hug? Thank him. He also has a friend who had a very difficult first pregnancy that she asked me to pray for her. She is now pregnant again and he told me, Mom, she wants to know if you'll pray for her again.
Christy S: You know how kids will pray for toys, to find things, etc. I learned early on that I could pray for anything. My husband and I were coming home from Hawaii where I had enjoyed a few days without children and we were on a red eye flight. So everyone on the plane was very tired. There was a family on the plane with four children. The children were asleep and then the two year old woke up, became irrational and screamed for two hours. There was a gentleman sitting behind us and because he too was tired, he yelled at this two year old. I thought, what can I do to help the poor mother. I couldn't offer to take him because he didn't know me and certainly wouldn't come to me. Then the thought of my early prayers came to me. I prayed to Heavenly Father, “you know him, you know how to comfort him. The child fell asleep. I thought about how I had waited for too long to pray for him. Heavenly Father knows how to comfort. He has the power.
I remember President Eyring saying that we must pray like a submissive child. Picture a child going before Heavenly Father. When heaven seems far away, I picture a child willing to submit to Heavenly Father.
As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7-11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for the. Blessings requires some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings. - Bible Dictionary.
I want to close by reading one of my favorite scriptures on Prayer. 2 Nephi 4:35
Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.
I want to add my Testimony that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers, that he knows us individually and personally. He knows and loves us and wants our eternal best.

Next week, lesson 10 “The Scriptures, the Most Valuable Library I the World”

0 comments:

Post a Comment