Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lupe's Notes - Apr. 29, 2012

Good afternoon sisters, getting a late start on the newsletter, but here it is. What a lovely day.


THOUGHT: “There is a dangerous trap when tolerance is exaggerated to protect the rights of those whose conduct endangers the family and injures the rights of the more part of the people. We are getting dangerously close to the condition described by the prophet Mosiah [Mosiah 29:26-27] Boyd K. Packer

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. WARD FATHER 7 SON ANNUAL CAMPOUT – May 11th & 12th in Lehi. Check flyer for more details. Questions? Contact Dan Whitehead (822-6455), Michael Smart (763-0055), or Matt Brady (444-9633)
  2. GUILT-FREE CELEBRATON OF MOTHERHOOD by Amy Waldron, Thursday, May 10th at 7 pm., please fill out one of her success forms and return to Amy by this coming Sunday if possible.
  3. Brother Robert Shelton, our own City Councilman, American Fork City is raising funds for a Learning Center, on May 19th by the City Library, by having a yard sale. Please drop your excess things on his porch.
    For more information, rob@voteshelton.com
  4. Heather and Jeremy Fillmore are also having a yard sale to help them raise money to bring their new daughter home. You can take your excess materials to their home.
  5. Please be sure and report your visiting teaching. Due to the number of move ins, there will be some adjustments to visiting teaching routes. If you happen to have changes made, please make note of who you will be reporting to. As of this month of April, report to your usual supervisor.

BIRTHDAYS: May 4th, Penny C. and May 5th Shoua E.. Happy Birthday to both of you.

For our 5th Sunday lesson, we asked Rebecca P. to teach from the April Ensign, “Taking Time to Talk and Listen” , page 10.

Well, since I am Amy S.'s visiting teacher and I happened to ask if there was anything I can do for you, she said, well, yes, you can teach our 5th Sunday lesson. From “Daughters in my Kingdom” page 49 “Articulating Beliefs:


Sister Eliza R. Snow was a gifted writer and public speaker. She was known by namy as “Zion's poetess” because of her skill with the English language. She was knowledgeable, organized, faithful, untiring, unflinching, wise, and articulate, and she followed the promptings of the Spirit as she helped build the Lord's kingdom. She frequently shared her knowledge and her testimony, and she encouraged Latter-day Saint women to do the same in Relief Society meetings—not to depend on other to always teach them.

Some women felt reluctant and unprepared to speak in public. Sister Snow gave the following counsel to such sisters: “Do not let your president have to say all....Has not God endowed you with the gift of speech?....If you are endowed with the Spirit of God, no matter how simple your thoughts may be, they will be edifying to those who hear you.”

Emily S. Richards said that Sister Snow helped her learn to speak in public: “The first time [she] asked me to speak in meeting, I could not, and she said, 'Never mind, but when you are asked to speak again, try and have something to say,' and I did.” Sister Richards continued to improve in her ability as a public speaker, and in 1889 she spoke at the National Woman Suffrage Association convention in Washington, D.C.

A Journalist described Sister Richards as “trembling slightly under the gaze of the multitude, yet reserved, self possessed, dignified, and as pure and sweet as an angel...It was not the wo4rds themselves but the gentle spirit [that] went with the words and carried winning grace to every heart.”

In a perfect world every child would return home from school to be greeted with a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, a tall glass of cold milk, and a mother ready to take the time to talk and listen about her child's day. We do not live in a perfect world, so you can skip the cookies and the milk, if you like, but don't skip the “take the time to talk and listen.”

Twenty-nine years ago, President James E. Faust , Second Counselor in the First Presidency, lamented athat families have so little time together. Think about that—29 years ago—he said in general conference: “One of the main problems in families today is that we spend less and less time together...Time together is precious time—time needed to talk, to listen, to encourage, and to show ow to do things.”

Quote 1 – Dana P:
The prophet Moses teaches u sin Deuteronomy: “Thous shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine hearts:
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up”
And may I add none more: “And when thou eatest at the dinner table together.”
If we desire our families to be together, forever, we begin the process today. Sjpending time talking with our children is an investment in our eternal family as we walk the path toward etrnal life together.”

How do we make time or find time?

Micheale C: I gave up doing car pooling so that I could walk my child to school and have one on one time with them. It was a good way to spend time together.

Yes, Megan and I have talked about that and that is also what she decided to do, so that she could spend more time with her child.

Alisa J: My body gets so tired, that I don't want to be around the children. We say prayers with them at night and I have to fight it, the tiredness, so that I can be there for that. It is so important, but not always easy. It's also a good time to let them talk. One day they will understand that it can sometimes be such an effort, a constant effort.

Yes, begin now to communicate.

Melissa B: I find that after I fix a nice dinner and we are at the table, that I have to start asking questions, going around the table to get them to answer. It is a constant effort to make it happen.

Sally J: It's learning to just listen. They don't need me to fix “it”. Kids just want to vent and talk and they want me to listen. It's about getting together.

Lynette: Yes, we want to jump in and solve it. All we need to do is acknowledge their feelings. “I can see you are really hurting or angry. How does that make you feel? Ask their opinions They may not want yours. Using questions can open doors to their feelings. Try to acknowledge how they are feeling.

Shanel: I used to be a Nazi when it came to bedtime. They had to be in bed by 8:00 pm. As I have gotten older I have come to realize that for some of my children, it's a time for them to come alive. To talk at night. I now allow one of my sons to to open up at nighttime. We will talk and spend time together. I have had to give up some me time, but it's been worth it.

Sharon H: I made a dress for my daughter to wear to the prom and had not finished it yet as of yesterday, so my plan was to work on it in the morning. Rebecca had a play in the morning and wanted me to go. She said that all I cared about was football, which is true, but I decided to take time for her too. So I went to her play. I took time for her, even though I didn't finished the dress until four. We do have to do stuff with them.

Pat H: Mothers feel bad if they think they are not communicating as they thought they were. They feel guilty and may even blame themselves. This week I heard of the suicide of a 15 year boy. He was the teacher Quorum President, he was working to get his associate degree by the time he finished high school. He was very communicative, very well liked by his peers, and yet he put a gun in his mouth and took away his life. His mother feels such blame, has taken everything upon herself. Even though our children seem to communicate, there's usually a part of them that is individual and no one else knows about it. I find that now that my children are in their 40s, are sharing things they never did before, that they never shared with me before. Communication is important, but we can't be all things to all children, all the time and we can't take the blame. I feel bad about the subject of suicide but children have their agency. We can not take responsibility for everything. Things happen in this life. We are not perfect.

We can only do what we can.

Karen: As a grandmother, I want to continue to communicate with my children, but I know that they are so busy. I don't want to e-mail, or text them. I want to talk with them.

Donna: When I call my children, I say, I miss those bablies, what are they doing?

Luone: MY father lives quite a distance away. He does not use a computer, there is bad reception by phone. He doesn't understand computer, texting, email. He has a hard time hearing. It's very hard for me to communicate with him.

Karen M: I feel that my kids are not interested in communicating with me.

Visitor: I have three little girls and am now a single mom, who works, so I do not have much time with them as I did when I was a stay at home mom. It's like we get home, do homework, have dinner, bath time and then off to bed. Every night. I find that if I do eye contact, o down to their lever, I can see in their eyes that I am getting through and it does make a difference.

Lynette: I have an elderly aunt that loves getting mail. She says that nothing is better than getting a mail because they can read it over and over.

Quote 2 Micheale C:
Much good comes from talking and the adversary is aware of the power of the spoken word. He would love to diminish the spirit that comes into our homes as we talk, listen, encourage each other, and do things together.
Satan futilely attempted to prevent the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ in this dispensation when he tried to halt a critical conversation between Joseph Smith and God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
In Joseph's words, “Immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak”
The adversary would love to bind our tongues—anything to prevent us from expressing verbally the feelings of our hearts face to face. He delights in distance and distraction; he delights in noise; he delights in impersonal communication—anything that would prevent us from the warmth of a voice and the personal feelings that come from conversing eye to eye.”

Sitting down, making eye contact is more personable. Teens text, but do not do fact to face contact. You can feel the l0ve when you do face to face. Have more personal contact.

Sharon H: My dad drives a city bus and I will get on his bus, stand behind the line and have a 20 minute conversation with him. I love to take the time to talk with him.

Quote 3: Sally J:
Ironically, the time when children can benefit most from their parents' wisdom is often the time when they are least likely to accept it. Adolescent children, in particular, strive to become independent, and the urgency of that drive, heightened b the pull of peers and worldly influence, sometimes draws them away from those who could help them the most. Sadly, their parents, wanting desperately to help, sometimes watch helplessly as they make unfortunate mistakes. Headstrong children, bent on doing things their own way, rebuff the most loving of fathers and mothers.

Sometimes we are willing to talk, but they are not.

Visitor: Don't be shocked by what they tell you. A friend of our daughter was sitting with us at the dinner table and my daughter started to tell of some of her day's events, something one of the kids at school had said and this friend gasped that she would tell us such things. Don't be shocked.

Make it comfortable for them.

Britney: It's important to have empathy for them. Give them choices, they will feel more independent. It's a lot easier for them to talk to me. One of my boys went to school in his pajamas because he wasn't ready on time. He didn't like being in his pajamas. One night they decided they wanted to stay up all night and I let them,but they still had to get up the next morning to go to school.

Sometimes we need to change.

I have some quotes that I read from two articles. One is Talking with teens, by C Ross Clement, June 2005 Ensign and in the New Era “How to Talk to Your Parents” by Shanna Butler, June 2005.

Talking with Teens
Communication includes every thought, feeling, act, or desire that is shared verbally and nonverbally between parents and children. It is imossible not to communicate. With no real effort, people effectively communicate who they are and how they feel about things. As President Spencer W Kimball observed, “Our expressions, our voice tones, our movements, our thoughts betray us. The greatest influence we can exert on our children occurs when our words and actions flow untainted from the purity of our hearts.

As parents we sometimes need to re-evaluate the way we relate to our children. Sometimes a change of heart is needed before good communication is possible. Some parents drive their chidlren away through lecturing, moralizing, interrogating, judging, condemning, threatening, blaming, criticizing, and ridiculing.

Help your kids be more Christlike. Clean the inner vessel first. Change our hearts and learn our children' needs more.

Sally J: My dad is now 48 years old and even though he doesn't think he was a lecturer, he was. Everything was about spirituality. We went on vacation one years and he let that go by the wayside. We started doing tongue twisters. He could laugh and have fun with us. I felt more close to him.

Micheale: I learned to change my whole perspective. I need to be a mom they need me to be. I have one child that is more independent and one that needs more help. Who's needs am I meeting?

Trina S: My kids are spread out, my oldest was 16 when my baby6 was born. They would come to me and say don't tell Dad, we want to talk in confidence. I would say, there are so secrets between your dad and me. Dad has to know. Sometimes their eyes would tell me more than what they said. They felt more comfortable with me, but dad still had to know.

They had a comfort zone with mom. Show love, let them know we are inteerested.

Quote 5: Holly M.

One Latter-day Saint father said: “I do a greater amount of good when I listen to my children than when I talk to them...I have gradually learned that my children don't want my ready-made, time-proven, and wise answers...To them, being able to ask their questions and to talk about their problems is more important than receiving answer. They have already found their answer “

It takes time to focus on the things that matter most. Talking, listening, and encouraging do not happen quickly. They cannot be rushed or scheduled—they happen best along the way. They happen when we do things together: work together, create together, and play together. They happen when we turn off media, put down worldly distractions, and focus on each other.”.

Get rid of the distractions in our lives. I'm grateful for preparing this lesson because I have learned a lot. We were on vacation last week and I found myself talking to my kids differently, getting more of their feelings.

Have a great week and don't forget to visit the RS blog. Http://manila12thwardrs.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment