Sunday, December 2, 2012

Lupe's Notes - Dec 2, 2012


Good afternoon sisters. Hope you have enjoyed your day thus far.

THOUGHT: “ Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others.”
President Thomas S. Monson

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. Tonight at 6 pm is the First Presidency Christmas Broadcast.
  2. Empty Nesters: Christmas Party at the Cheney's. Please bring a pot luck dish and a white elephant gift from each person attending. At 6 pm. 1083 E Murdock Dr.
  3. Birthday Brunch at Martha's home, this coming Sat., the 8th at 11 am for those whose birthday falls in Oct., Nov., Dec. or if you missed coming to any of the other brunches.
  4. Christmas Elves Rescue Mission, Sat. the 15th from 9:30-11:00 am at the Church building. Come in p.j.s/comfy clothes. There will be a delicious breakfast, visit and photos with Santa Claus and a Service Project to show WE CARE!
  5. Stake Choir rehearsals for Stake Conference will be held Dec. 9th and 16th at the Stake Center from 6:30 – 8:00 pm. All voices welcome. This will be a fun experience as the wards meet to sing together, learning beautiful music in preparation for the Sunday morning session of Stake Conference.

Thank you to all who participated in the RS Activity on Thursday. We have so many talented sisters and all of you contribute to the wonderful spirit that is Relief Society.

Our message today was presented by Megan Duckworth, our president. She wrote on the board:
THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS

Thanks for all who attended our Thursday activity. It was an incredible evening; for those who were not able to attend your absence was felt. I had hoped that it would be a great start for the Christmas season and thoughts of the Savior and we were not disappointed.

I hope the lesson today will continue to focus on Christ. There are different thoughts and feelings about Christmas. There is the joy and anticipation, but also for some there is the loneliness, the despair, thinking of things that are lacking in their lives. With awareness of all these different feelings, I start my lesson. I don't have any notes, just my scriptures, so I pray for the spirit that it will guide me and you. I spent one day watching all the videos the Church has put on about Christmas. President Monson talks about the spirit of Christmas. If yo what to understand the spirit of Christmas, take off the last syllable of the word. Focus on Christ. I spoke with my presidency about my feelings for this lesson and of sharing a personal story. They all felt it should be so.

In the last week's newsletter, I asked Lupe to ask you to read the scripture from Matthew 25:40. I wanted yo to think and ponder it because we would talk about it today. That will be our text for today. As I studied and ponder about this, I decided that I needed to start with verse 35. As I am sharing my personal example, I encourage you to think about and share your experiences with us.

Matthew 25:35-40


For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? Or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? Or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I became profoundly aware of this gospel truth several years ago. My grandmother lived here in an Assisted Living facility. I will share a little about her. My dad was an only child and was her primary caretaker. As her health reclined it was obvious that she could no longer stay in Wyoming where she had lived for 92 years. Though she needed to live near family, she didn't want to live near my parents, not because she didn't care about them, but because she didn't want to be a burden to them As I talked with my dad, I told him she could come here (she had been widowed for 30 years) and I cold see her often. And so we moved her here close to me. Growing up I didn't have really any kind of relationship with her as I had hoped I could have. I made a commitment to help care for her. I loved my dad and she gave him life, but I came to understand this scripture as I visited her.

She was a very talented person and liked to look nice. I would paint her nails and would take the children to visit her. They too became close to her. I would take her to her doctor visits, celebrated holidays with her. The facility where she lived would have an Easter Egg Hunter for the grandchildren of the patients. My daughter loved those and even now wishes she could still participate. The greatest thing was to attend Sacrament Meetings with her. I got to sit by my grandma and sing the hymns. She was into music, and had been a choir director, but was unable to sing anymore. She loved to hear me sing and I cherish those moments as I spent time with her. I understand verse 40 so much more and felt that I was on Holy ground and serving Him. I can tell you that it was with great peace as she passed. I was able to be with her. There was no doubt about our relationship and how she felt about me. The service I rendered blessed me and my family more than it blessed my grandma.

At this season, things can be magnified – the loneliness, financial, wayward child, etc. The greatest gift we can all enjoy is the the Savior. I have great love for the Savior. He has blessed my life.

Now I would like for you to share some of your spiritual experiences about service.

Karen M; Many years ago there was a girl in our Stake who had gone to the dentist. This dentist owe money to her father and so as pay off he was doing some dental work on this girl. He worked on her in between appointments. So he kept injecting Demerol while he worked on his other patients. By 5 pm, when her mother got to the Dental office, she saw an ambulance in front of the office and knew it had to be her daughter. He had used so much Demerol that it had killed her brain. President Kimball even gave her a blessing. AT that time, a physical therapy was being use, it was to be pattern. It was done two times a day and it required all of the Stake to help. We were set up as teams. We did this for two years. She couldn't speak, couldn't communicate with us, but I felt the spirit of the Savior as we worked with her. I could see it in her eyes. After two years, she still hadn't showed progress and so it was discontinued. She lived for 10 years.

Francesca: Grandpa fell at the beginning of the years. Now he is not an emotional person. He has not hug me even after 10 years. I loved him as a little girl but was scared of him. At first, when he came to live with us, I was very resistant to him because he took my mom's time and worse, my dad's time. He even went with us to Italy because we had served and love him all these years. When he fell, I spent 5 days with him at the hospital, even though it was hard for me to be in hospitals. It was hard seeing his blood shot eye. But being there with him, and serving him brought me closer to Christ. I grew more charity for him. It is different when you serve someone thru Christ.

Yes, I witnessed you at the hospital with him.

Micheale C: That missionary that was shot in the head while he was in Argentina. We would help with his physical therapy. It was a wonderful opportunity to help once a month. He was released right away so he was still a missionary and you would feel the spirit. He was eventually released and he married one of the care takers. When we served while he was a missionary, we served Christ. I cared for my grandparent for two years and the relationship that we shared was wonderful.

Laurie: I have a different experience with that scripture. It was a profound experience about judging. At least it is what I think it means. I preparing a lesson while I parked at the Cosco parking lot, along side the building. There were a rows of card then Lowes. I saw this girl with white bleached hair, a lot of tattoos and piercings. She came up to my window and asked me if I could spare some money. I thought, no, you scare me, go away. No, because you'll probably use it for drugs. I'm concerned for my safety. I kept making excusing. She started to walk toward Lowes but didn't approach any of the other cars. As she did that, this scripture came to me, and I could picture the Savior walking away from my car. I only had a 10 dollar bill and didn't really want to give it to her. She told me that she had lost her apartment and was homeless. I felt ashamed of myself. I gave her the money and said, 'do something good with it. I thought about how many times we judge people. I need to be guided by the spirit.

You listened to the promptings of the spirit. I so appreciated Amy Nelson's presentation as she talked about Christ and as she showed the slide of the place where he fed the 5,000. As we saw the picture of that area, I felt a powerful witness of love that He has for us. If you remember, it was at that time that he was told that John the Baptist had been killed and how. He received the news and yet he attended to the multitude of people. They needed Him and He didn't turned them away. There is great hope and peace that He loves each of us. We need to remember why we are celebrating this season. As we serve others, we serve our Heavenly Father and Christ.

The remainder of the time was turned over to Testimonies and we concluded by having Heather Fillmore and her beautiful voice sing “A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief”.

A poor wayfaring Man of grief Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief That I could never answer nay.
I had not pow'r to ask his name, whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye That won my love; I knew not why.

Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death, I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath, Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment—he was healed. I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart, And peace bound up my broken heart.

In pris'n I saw him next, condemned To meet a traitor's doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed, And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.
My friendship's utmost zeal to try, He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill, But my free spirit cried, “I will!”

Then in a moment to my view The stranger started from disguise
The tokens in his hands I knew; The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named, “Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be; Fear not, thou didst them unto me.”

Next Sunday the lesson will be #23: “Of You it is Required to Forgive” from the George Albert Smith manual. Have a wonderful week sisters; Remember the reason for the season.


0 comments:

Post a Comment