Monday, July 2, 2012

Lupe's Notes - Jul 1, 2012

Good afternoon sisters, I hope you enjoy your day and this week as we celebrate the birthday of this wonderful nation and the freedom it allows us.


THOUGHT: “The purpose of temples is to provide a place where holy ordinances are performed for the living and for the dead.” George Albert Smith

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. Please remember the Rob Fisher family in your prayers in the coming weeks. We know that when we unite our faith, great miracles happen.
  2. Our sympathy to Petra and her sister in the loss of their mother.
  3. Thanks to all who participated in the Birthday Brunch yesterday.
  4. A big thanks to our Young Women leaders for all their work to make Girls Camp a wonderful experience. We realize how much they help strengthen the youth.
  5. Stake Blood Drive on Saturday July 21st. You can still sign up next week.
  6. Mommy Mingle on Tuesday, July 10th at 11:00 am at the Highland Splash Pool.
  7. Sister Ardeth Kapp will speak at a fireside on Sunday, July 15th at 7:00 pm at the Cedar Hills Stake Center (corner of Cedar Hills Dr and Canyon Rd) This is for all women and young women ages 12 and up.
  8. Manila 12th Ward “Super Summer Sensational Supper” (Saturday July 14th at 6 pm @ Val Vista Park (behind Montagnoli's) Enjoy Savory Food, Socializing & Super Games...it will be So Fun!
Our lesson today was presented by Sarah Heiner. “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”

I have felt Heavenly Father's hand in the preparation of this lesson. I am so excited to present this to you. I am more excited because it is very personal to me. It has affected my life for the good and I appreciate the opportunity to present it to you.

Last October Elder David Bednar gave a talk on Family History and he gave it in a way that I had never heard before. He explained how we should be doing it, and especially getting the youth involved.
Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. “...And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the heats of the children shall turn to their fathers. If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at his coming”

As I heart this, I thought in my mind two questions? The first is, we think to ourselves, do I have time for this, there are different stages in our lives. The second is, I'm pretty sure that all of my ancestors work has been done. We tend to justify why it is difficult to our Family History.

Prior to six years ago I felt the same way. In fact I thought it would be very boring. I have displayed here a picture of my own family and a picture of my grandfather, Maddie's Family History in fan shape and a Golf ball. This ball has a name on it 'Will' and on the back is a bear with a fish in his mouth and the word Alaska. Brady had gone golfing and an 18 year old boy who was working cleaning up the balls looked at it and say to Brady. You need a ball? Brady says no thanks, but then he notices that it said Will. My brother Will was a fisherman in Alaska for ten years. He had died three months prior. I realized that my brother wanted me to have his work done. He had left the church when he was 17 years old. This was a start for me. I ask myself how things like this happen. This is very tangible. It was not a dream or an impression.
My brother was interested in seeking our ancestors even though he was not active. He had started an investigation on our family line. He had discovered that grandpa was 49 years old and grandma was 18 when they married. We did not know much of our family history but for me it was very personal when his interest started.

Question? Have any of you had similar experience, dreams or impression?

Martha: Once when I was in the Washington D C temple I got this overwhelming impression – I felt the spirit of Cliff's grandmother in my mind, it felt like the sweetest feeling. It was as if she was saying, 'Thank you taking care of my son (Cliff's dad who has been with us for 11 years). Please take time to do our work. I started thinking of all the Italian people who are waiting. As you were setting up, I felt Heavenly Father's spirit to pay attention to these things. They need us to do something.

As I prepared this lesson, I can't always relate to ancestors reaching up to us, but children have a way to make us think more deeply. When Maddie was a child, she would always run off at the stores. She would usually hide in the carpet rolls at Home Depot and since we were building our home, I would go there often. It would scare me and I would think that she was gone. One day she did that and I thought, I can pray, but someone needs to help me. So I went and asked the people if they would call her name over the intercom. They also send a team out to look for her. The person who found her and brought her to me felt like an angel. This we can relate to. We have ancestors who are on the other side who are together but not sealed as families by the power of Elijah. We are the hands to bring them back to us.

Look under your chairs; I have put six quotes there. On the other side of the quotes are pictures. When I ask for the quotes, please come up and read them. Will quotes 1, 2, and 3 please come up.

Quote 1 – Shanel: D&C 18:10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of god.
Quote 2 – Andrea: D&C 18:15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days...and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
Quote 3 – Amy S: D&C 18:16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!

Now start piecing the pictures together. Arrange them so they will be a together family, so that the family members are next to each other.

Heavenly Father place so much emphasis in this that he sent Elijah the prophet. Who is Elijah, a modern prophet?

Quote 4 – Robby: Elijah was an Old Testament prophet through whom mighty miracles were performed. “We learn from latter-day revelation that Elijah held the sealing power of the Melchizedek Priesthood and was the last prophet to do so before the time of Jesus Christ” (Bible Dictionary, “Elijah”). The Prophet Joseph Smith explained, “The spirit, power, and calling of Elijah is, that ye have power to hold the key of the ...fullness of the Melchizedek Priesthood ..; and to … obtain... all the ordinances belonging to the kingdom of God” This sacred sealing authority is essential for priesthood ordinances to be valid and binding both on earth and in heaven.

The more we learn about genealogy, the more we can bring families together. AS we learn who Elijah was, we learn about the amazing miracles he did and we learn that he was translated.

Next question. What is the Spirit of Elijah?

Quote 5 - Holly: Elder Russel M. Nelson has taught that the Spirit of Elijah is “a manifestation of the Holy Ghost bearing witness of the divine nature of the family”. This distinctive influence of the Holy Ghost draws people to identify, document, and cherish their ancestors and family members – both past and present.

We ask ourselves, what is our greatest responsibility?

Quote 6 – Shanae: The Prophet Joseph Smith declared: The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead. ...For it is necessary that the sealing power should be in our hands to seal our children and our dead for the fullness of the dispensation of times—a dispensation to meet the promises made by Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world for the salvation of man. ...Hence, God said, 'I will send you Elijah the prophet'”

This is a trick question. Is the spirit of Elijah only given to members of the church? No. It is open to everyone. So why is our role so important?

Robby: Only members can do the work for them.

Lynette: The church has the biggest resource.

I found that once I broke through the first generation, it became easier to move on to the next one. My parents were converts so I didn't have lots of information. It was hard to break through, but then I realized that people were submitting information but the work was not being done. The hard part was already done, but my obligation was to get the families seal. It is so important to do this work.

Amy W: Three years ago we went to a family reunion. My dad's family is non LDS; they are from the South. So they had this big family reunion, my dad was 86 years old then. My kid had not met a lot of his family and even though we really did not have money to go to the reunion we felt we had to do this. I struggled as a teenager because I had pioneer ancestry on my mother's side and Southern Baptist on my dad's side. My mother would take us to church, but my dad was not there. I felt sad. My Patriarchal blessing refers to my father. So here I am sitting in this Holiday Inn in Arkansas and I saw cousins go out for a smoke break, etc. They were a jolly group. But I had this feeling of love for these people. My father had the Spirit of Elijah. My mom and he had worked on his family and we have 10,000 names of dad's ancestors. I thought, my sister and I who are active have nine children. We're the only ones needed to take care of all these people. I thought I would have volunteered for this. God has had a big plan and we're all part of it. I volunteered to take care of this people. We all have some sort of connection to this work.

So beautiful Amy. It is the perfect transition. I think we need to ask ourselves 'is this really for me? It is interesting how Brady told me that. Our parents, etch had told us or tell us the work is already done. I have been told that too, but I am the type of person who has to clarify everything. To find truth is very important for me. Grandfather Charles Heiner is such a case. We found out that he has a son named William Heiner, that we didn't know about. We found out that Charles had been married about 3 years, his wife died and he had a baby no one knew what happened to him. It's a good example of how wrong people can be if they just accept what others say. It's easy to justify ourselves, but like Amy, we're the only person in the family to make that connection and save families. We're that person.

Last summer in July, I took Jami to the dentist and drop her off. I thought I should go to D I. I was looking for a desk for Maddie. I had found one at a store but it was very expensive. I walked around DI but couldn't find anything that was small enough. I walked around again and in the corner where they have the tables I saw this old, ugly but in bad shape desk. I measured it and it was a perfect size. It was well built, so I put it in my car along with a chair. What to do? As I drove home I passed by Tara's house and saw her in her garage painting. She restores furniture. So I asked her how to go about fixing up this desk. She gave me step by step instructions. When I got home, I pulled out this small drawer. There was stuff in the drawer and as I pulled out the papers about 50 ordinance cards felled out. The work had never been done and once they are printed, they cannot be touched by anyone else so the work hadn't been done. I had the name and address of the person who had printed them. I tried to find the person, even went to the address but no luck. So that same week, our family members sealed those family together. When the spirit of Elijah is there, things will fall in place. People will communicate with us.

Rachelle F: Our family does family history and my sister, etc was sealing families and she had this feeling that there was a daughter missing. So she did some digging and found this daughter.

The spirit will guide you to that child. They will help you; we have angels with us. This is the work that will guard and protect our families, our children.

Karen M: My Patriarchal Blessing tells me I have many ancestors that I was to do work for them. I searched and search and would find some but it was very hard and couldn't find all of them. I would ask the Lord, but the answers would not come. I would even get mad that the Lord was not helping me. With Family Search I was able to find them and when I got them done, I had this feeling that it was finished. Sometimes we have to wait a long time.

If you will look at the board, you will see that someone is missing. I will direct someone to find the baby of this family. Luone, will you please come up here and look for the baby around a place that makes music. She found the baby. The family can all be seal together now.

You have a handout that gives you detailed instruction on how to get started. I feel that this program that the Church has created was designed for the Millennium because it was created with God's help and with the spirit of Elijah.

I am thankful for this work and the spirit in our home. Rochelle S, five months ago attended one of my genealogy classes and did the steps and has now sealed grandparents, aunts. She was a beginner and did it.

Megan: Sarah has outlined something for each month. Look for that in the months to come on the blog. Http://manila12thwardrs.blogspot.com

Next week the lesson will be from the manual. Lesson #13 “Doing Our Part to Share the Gospel”

Have a great week and a safe July 4th.

0 comments:

Post a Comment