Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lupe's Notes ~ Feb 5, 2012

What a wonderful Sabbath. It was great seeing most of the sisters in Relief Society. Thank you young women, leaders, young men and leaders and Primary for allowing the sisters to join us.

THOUGHT: Daily, constantly, we choose by our desires, our thoughts, and our actions whether we want to be blessed or cursed, happy or miserable”.
Boyd K. Packer

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. Women's Basketball – Women's Basketball is currently underway and will run through February 28th. Games will be played at the Manila Building on 900 W directly north of the pond and across from the blue silos on Tuesday evenings from 8:30-10 pm. “Open Gym' style games will be played. All skill levels are invited to play, including beginners. This should be a fun time to get some exercise, meet your sisters in the stake, and develop your talents. Any questions maybe directed to Wendy Pinson (801) 830-2562 or Stephanie Wilson (801) 703-4366.
  2. Stake Women's Conference – Saturday, April 21st at 10:00 am. More information coming,
  3. Our annual Ward Temple night – to celebrate our Ward's birthday will be Tuesday, March 6th for the special 8:15 pm session.
  4. Ward Relief Society Activity to celebrate the birthday of Relief Society will be on Thursday, March 29th at 6:30 pm at the Manila Building.
  5. This year we will be celebrating each sister's birthday by having a quarterly Brunch. It will provide us with a greater opportunity to get to know each other better.
  6. Don't forget to visit our Relief Society Blog. Not only does it have RS news and activities, but also great Preparedness info, Amazing recipes, Missionary addresses and links to their blogs, Lupe's notes from past lessons and more. Http://manila12thwardrs.blogspot.com

BIRTHDAYS: Feb. 6th Alisa Jenkins; Feb 7th Billie Wilson, and Feb. 10th Pat Heaton HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

Today we were honored to have most of the sisters attend our Relief Society Visiting Teacher Conference. “PURE RELIGION WATCHCARE AND MINISTERING THROUGH VISITING TEACHING”

Sister Megan Duckworth, our president spoke to us first.

I'm so very grateful to be able to see all gather together today. What a beautiful sight. I am so thankful for the willingness of our Primary, Young Women, and Young Men leaders to work together to provide substitutes for our primary children.

I am thankful for each one of you. We don't often have the opportunity to get together on Sundays. I am grateful for the many things that each one of you does to minister to other sisters in our ward. Your kindness and your dedication inspire me. Many of the acts that you perform go unseen by many. But, the most important observer, our Father in Heaven, takes note of each and every kind deed – large or small. I want to echo His appreciation and love for you.

Before we start our discussion today, I would like to share a few things that I have felt in my heart. First, it is my hope and prayer that each one of us can feel uplifted and inspired in some way by our discussion today. As a presidency, we have prayed to know what to say and how to say it. Our message today is not intended to make anyone feel guilty or inadequate. Please do not feel any guilt. Second, I feel very strongly the need to challenge each sister in our ward, including myself, to study, ponder, and pray about “Daughters in My Kingdom”. This inspired book can help each one of us to understand our unique and divine role in building the Kingdom of God. Our discussion today will focus on Chapter 7.

I so appreciated Brother Jensen's testimony today on technology. I go often to lds.org to check out the information and resources that are there to help guide me. I look for the things that will bless the life of each sister.

On March 17, 2012, the Relief Society will commemorate its 170th anniversary. Relief Society sisters throughout the world are invited to celebrate by participating in activities that will engage them in the work of Relief Society. Under the direction of local priesthood leaders, units can determine the activities that best fit their needs. We will concentrate on three of those suggestion.

  1. Encourage each sister to read and study Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society.
  2. Invite sisters to share personal testimonies
  3. Improve in the ministry of visiting teaching.

In my mind, we can start this commemoration today.

I will take a few minutes at the beginning of our meeting. Amy will then discuss some important points. As we progress through our discussion today, I want each of you to think about how you would answer this question: “How has visiting teaching blessed my life?”

Please also consider these different headings from Chapter 7: Pure Religion-Watch care and Ministering through Visiting Teaching; Visiting Teaching as a Spiritual Ministry; A Privilege, a Duty and a Commitment: Sharing the vision of Visiting Teaching Worldwide; A continuing Effort to Fo9llow Jesus Christ; Commitment, Dedication, and Sacrifice; Seeking Spiritual Guidance; Teaching Truth and Bearing Testimony; Giving Temporal Help with Love; Mourning with Those Who Mourn, Comforting, and Helping to bear burdens; How visiting teaching blesses the visiting teacher.

As sisters, we don't often get a chance to share our testimonies in an intimate setting like this. So at the end of Amy's remarks, I would like to invite any sister who feels inspired, to share her positive feelings about visiting teaching. We can learn so much from one another.

Of course the greatest teacher and example was Jesus Christ. Look to the Savior. As the wonderful Sacrament hymn “How Great the Wisdom and the Love” states: “He marked the path and led the way.” Christ taught a powerful lesson about ministering in Luke 15:3-7.

And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice wit me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Each person matters. I think that at some point in our lives, each one of us has been “lost” and has needed rescuing of one kind or another. Sister Julie Beck once referred to visiting teachers as the “first responders”. Visiting teachers help to rescue lost sheep. I've witness that; the nourishing, compassion and care in the ward.

In Relief Society, each sister has the opportunity to watch over and strengthen sisters one by one through visiting teaching. Sister Julie Beck, said, “Because we follow the example and teachings of Jesus Christ, we value this sacred assignment to love, know, serve, understand, teach, and minister in His behalf.”

Most of my quotes are fund in “Daughters in My Kingdom”.

It is interesting to read in Chapter 7 about how the visiting teaching program has evolved over time. Inspired leaders have made adjustments and changes to visiting teaching as the needs of the sisters and the times changed. Notice the change of format in the Ensign regarding Visiting Teaching messages.

In speaking a bout our leaders, President Henry B. Eyring said:
The members of Relief Society have always been trusted by local priesthood shepherds. Every bishop and every branch president has a Relief Society president to depend upon. She has visiting teachers, who know the trials and the needs of every sister. She can, through them, know the harts of individuals and families. She can meet needs and help the bishop in his call to nurture individuals and families.” I testify that is true.


I know that Bishop Edman cares about each sister in our ward. He prays for sisters by name. He knows that he can't personally minister to every need of each sister. But he knows that Heavenly Father will answer his prayers that are offered in behalf of sisters in need. He has great trust and faith in the visiting teachers in the Manila 12th Ward. Like Spencer W. Kimball said:

“God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom.”

I remember a time in my life when I was reminded of this truth. I had a very difficult challenge that I was dealing with. On an especially trying day, my visiting teacher came to my door with some freshly baked rolls. She was unaware of the difficulty I was having, but said, “I just felt that I should make these and bring them to you today. I don't know why.” How thankful I am that she listened to that prompting. Following Christ's example, she rescued me on that day.

President Eyring teaches us that visiting teaching is part of the Lord's plan on a global scale:

The only system which could provide succor and comfort across a church so large in a world so varied would be through individual servants near the people in need. The Lord had seen that coming from the beginning of Relief Society.”

As I thought about our sisters in the gospel in different parts of the world, I thought of our 3 dear sisters who are serving missions. (I encourage you to read their blogs. They share powerful testimonies of the Savior. Links to their blogs are listed on our RS blog.) I felt impressed to write to Sister Marlene Lindsay and ask her how visiting teaching has blessed the lives of sisters in the Philippines. This is her response:

From Sister Marlene Lindsay. Susanah Mamaril and Visiting Teaching, May 28 2011

I was able to talk to Sister Mamaril today. She is quiet and shy, but is at every church event where she can give support to someone. She was standing in the rain outside the Church (it was locked) when we arrived for the baptism of Beth Sibayan. She arrived at 2:00 because she was on her way home from working in the fields. The baptism didn't start until 3:00.

I told her that every one who told me her name at Church added that she was a wonderful visiting teacher. She was very shy about that and said “I don't think so sister.” She said that she was sorry she didn't speak very good English, but she had only gone to elementary school because her family was poor.

I asked her why she thought some of the sisters might not go visiting teaching—was it because they were too busy? She said she didn't think so. She said, “I have eleven children and work in the fields and I am a widow.” I said, “So you are very busy” and she nodded her head. Then I asked her why she was a faithful visiting teacher and she looked surprised that I would ask that question. She said, “It is a part of the promise I made to Heavenly Father. It is a part of my covenant with him.” She walks mostly to visit teach or spends some of the little money she has for a trike ride to go far. She will visit up to ten sisters in a month.

Sister Datuin is the Relief Society president in Mapandan. They have just organized visiting teaching,. She had courage to call an inactive sister to go visiting teaching with her. When she asked this sister if she would accept the assignment to be a visiting teacher, the sister said she would do that. She asked when they would go and she came and went with Sister Datuin. The sister still has not returned to Church, but she is being strengthened by Sister Datuin's faith to receive her as her companion and her willingness to serve and teach her sisters.

These Filipino sisters inspire me. They make great sacrifices as they serve. They do so because they know the Lord will bless them for their efforts. It doesn't matter of we speak Tagalog or English. The Lord's promised blessings are the same for every sister if we seek for inspiration and do our part.

Sisters, I testify that our Heavenly Father loves each one of us and that He wants us to be happy. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. We can be instruments I the Lord's hands as we faithfully strive to “seek the one” through visiting teaching. I love each one of you and I am so thankful to be able to associate with you. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Amy Smart:

About a year ago on facebook, a college friend posted some things that disturbed me. She expressed some feelings about the church still being unfair to women. That it still caters to men. I do not feel like her, I am at peace. As I studied the scriptures, I find what the Savior values. In D&C 18:10 “ Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; That's what matters most to him. He seeks after the lost and ministers to them. When he appeared to the Nephites, He had each person feel the marks on his hands, each one of them. And he blessed each child as an individual. Probably took a long time, but that did not matter to him.

The things that matter most is the 'worth of a soul.' We have the privilege to work in small groups to minister. Visiting Teaching is the opportunity to minister to others.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, a counselor in the First Presidency, said: “You wonderful sisters render compassionate service to others for reasons that supersede desires for personal benefits. In this you
emulate the Savior, who, though a kind, did not seek position, nor was He concerned about whether others noticed Him. He did not bother to compete with others. His thoughts were always turned to help others. He taught, healed, conversed [with], and listened to others. He new that greatness had tittle to do with outward signs of prosperity or position. He taught and lived by this doctrine: 'He that is greatest among you shall be your servant.'”

We are very blessed to have President Monson as a prophet; to see him live that principle in action. That is the highest value to him, to minister, to reach out to others.

It is the love concept. The Lord teaches that out of small and simple things, the Lord can bring abut great things. We can't carry their heavy burdens, but we can lift their spirit and make a difference.

In 'Daughters in my Kingdom' is the story of Cathie Humphrey.

When I was first called to be a visiting teacher, I was assigned a young woman who never came to church... I faithfully went every month and knocked on her door. She would open the inside door but heave the screen door shut....She would not say anything, She would just stand there. I would look cheerful and say, 'Hi, I'm Cathie, your visiting teacher.' And as she would say nothing. I would say, 'Well, our lesson today is on...' and try briefly to say something uplifting and friendly. When I was through, she would say, 'Thank you,' and shut the door.

I did not like going there...But I went because I wanted to be obedient. After about seven or eight months of this, I got a phone call from the bishop.

Cathie,' he said, 'the young woman you visit teach just had a baby who lv8ied only a few days. She and her husband are going to have a graveside service, and she asked me to see if you would come and be there wit her She said you are her only fiend.' I went to the cemetery. The young woman, her husband, the bishop, and I were at the graveside. That was all.

I had seen her only once a month for a few minutes at a time. I hadn't even been able to tell through the screen door that she was expecting a baby, yet even my inept but hopeful visiting had blessed us both.”

This is a touching story. It is more rare and extreme, but it teaches a powerful principle. Visiting teaching can have a profound influence.

Sister Elaine L. Jack, taught: “In visiting teaching we reach out to each other. Hands often speak as voices can't. A warm embrace conveys volumes. A laugh together unites us. A moment of sharing refreshes our souls. We cannot always lift the burden of one who is troubled, but we can lift her so she can bear it well.”

We see you do that. It was a privilege to interview you once a year in our visiting teacher interviews. I was so touched and humbled by all you do. I found that you sisters are concerned about the sisters you visit, how you strengthen and lift their burdens. How much you loved the sisters, and your companions. You do more than you are aware of. I got a peek at all you do. I am grateful to be part of Relief Society with you. You have a profound impact on each sister's life.

The remainder of the time was left to testimonies.

Next week's lesson will be Lesson 3 “Our Testimony of Jesus Christ” from Teachings of Presidents of the Church George Albert Smith

0 comments:

Post a Comment